Installation Guide (Steam)
Shards of Dalaya is the longest continuously running emulated EverQuest server, featuring completely reimagined lore and a number of custom mechanics not present in the parent game. To make a character of your own and set foot on your adventure, follow the steps outlined below.
If you have any questions after reading this starting guide, or just want to hang out, be sure to join us on Shards of Dalaya's official Discord server .
Install the Game via Steam (Windows)
To install EverQuest using Steam, do the following:
- Visit the official Steam website:
- Create a Steam account if you don't already have one by clicking on login and then Join Steam. (Steam accounts are free.)
- After creating an account, download the Steam installer from the website by clicking on the green Install Steam button.
- Open the Steam installer to install Steam.
- Open Steam and log in to your Steam account.
- Type EverQuest into the search bar.
- Click on the EverQuest game (dated Dec 13, 2012) and click on the green Play Game button to add the game to library.
- Click on the Library tab at the top.
- Double click on EverQuest Free-to-Play in your library list and download the game.
- When the game has finished downloading, right-click EverQuest Free-to-Play in the library list and select Properties.
- Under the Local Files tab, click on Browse Local Files.
- Click the "Up" arrow to the left of the file address bar.
- Right-click on the EverQuest F2P folder and select Copy (recommended) or Cut (if your hard drive is low on storage space).
- Navigate to wherever you want to place the folder, such as C: > Program Files (x86), and Paste (CTRL + V) the folder there.
- Open the Shards of Dalaya patcher (SoD 2.5 Patcher.exe).
- Within the patcher, check the Repatch All box, then click on the Browse... button to direct the patcher at your newly installed, newly moved EverQuest F2P folder.
- Click Patch and Run to update to Shards of Dalaya's files.
- After patching, enter the game!
- if you try to login and it doesn't accept your username and password check for capslock(it is case sensitive) and verify that Use EQEmu For Login Server is checked or unchecked as appropriate in the patcher. If you used SOD's website to register it should be unchecked if you used EQemu to register it should be checked.
- If you have errors try updating your .Net Framework and DirectX hereand also try installing the C++ redistributable from 2015 here or the C++ redistributable ALL IN ONE here
- If you are still running Windows 7 and receive an "Error updating patcher, make sure you are connected to the Internet" error, you may need to apply the following registry changes to enable TLS 1.2: https://www.smartftp.com/en-us/support/kb/2679
- If having problems with installing can try asking in the SOD discord server here in the tech support channel.
The UNOFFICIAL/UNSUPPORTED third party patch for memory leak crash is here it is the 4GB patch. it should be applied to eqgame.exe in the Everquest F2P folder(may want to create a backup of this file just in case). Note patch may fail if your installation is in a Windows created folder due to a file permission issue. The game can be moved after installation by moving the entire Everquest F2P folder. Severely discourage placing the install on your desktop as it can cause issues and is a potential security risk. suggest creating a folder at the root of one of your drives and putting the game folder in that.